Swing Asheville & Blue Ridge Bal are dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone, therefore all attendees, instructors, staff, and volunteers at Blue Ridge Bal are required to comply with the following code of conduct. Organizers will enforce this code throughout the event. We are expecting cooperation from all participants to help ensure a safe environment for everybody.
OPTIONS FOR HELP:
SHORT TERM –We will have a 'safe spaces' coordinator at the event, and you will find her contact information in the handout when you register. Should an issue arise, she will work with you to find a solution and help you feel safe at our event. Her contact info will be available at the registration desk.
LONG TERM – Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to discuss bigger-picture issues or thoughts about safety at our dances and events.
DECLARATION OF SAFE SPACE
Swing Asheville/Blue Ridge Bal is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion (or lack thereof). We do not tolerate harassment of event participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery in social situations is not appropriate for any event venue, including dances, workshops, Facebook, and other online media. Event participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the organizers.
CODE OF CONDUCT IN DETAIL
- No forms of harassment will be tolerated. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments (related to gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, OR religion), sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of classes, workshops, dances, or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
- Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
- If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the event with no refund.
- If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a Blue Ridge Bal organizer immediately, using one of the methods above.
- We expect all participants to follow these rules at dance and workshop venues.
BEING A GOOD DANCE EVENT ATTENDEE
Please do not offer unsolicited advice to fellow dancers either in class or on the social dance floor.
Please use your full range of senses on the dance floor to avoid accidental collisions and injuries. It is every dancer’s responsibility to be aware of their own and their partner’s movement and position, as well as the movement and position of the dancers surrounding them, in order to avoid all forms of dangerous contact.
Please be respectful to both organizers and venue staff, even if you are experiencing a personal frustration. Without the goodwill of these individuals, a smoothly functioning event and organization is impossible.